Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Fernando Martinez arrives in camp - "I can hit"


Fernando Martinez arrived in Port St Lucie this morning looking to hit the diamond after being shut down by the Mets, just shy of two weeks ago. F-Mart will meet with team medical staff prior to returning to active duty.

Jessie Sanchez of MLB.com, filed this post about F-Mart's injury as well as his heroic game winning homer.

The Caribbean Series is over for Mets prospect Fernando Martinez.The right-handed-throwing outfielder is nursing a sore right elbow and will fly to New York on Thursday night for a checkup. He said he is taking anti-inflammatory medication.

"I felt my elbow tighten up the day before yesterday [after throwing]," Martinez said. "It was a little swollen. It's better. I feel I can play again. I don't think I need to fly to New York to get a check up but the Mets want me to."

On Tuesday, Martinez hit a two-run pinch-hit homer in the top of the seventh inning to push the Tigres de Licey past Puerto Rico's Leones de Ponce, 2-1. It was his only at-bat of the series. Last season the 20-year old combined to hit .292 in 90 games for the Mets' Gulf Coast League team and Double-A Binghamton. He was also slowed by a hamstring injury.

Flash back to video of F-Mart's Caribbean Series blast here.

Update from Mike Rose - Fernando Martinez just walked by with a big smile on his face saying "I can hit." The doctors must have just cleared him for that and he was headed out to the field with a bat.

Read Mike's post here.

0 comments: